[PD] Get response : "Can't load gem library..." /newbie

PT147 at mdx.ac.uk PT147 at mdx.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 22:20:06 CET 2003

>when I type in C:/pd/bin/pd -lib/gen/Gen  or C:\pd\bin\pd ->lib/gem/Gem  what I get is a lexicon of various flags preceded >by "usage: pd [flags] [file]" ... Is  the command prompt "telling me" >to enter info. differently?

Yes.  Try something like "c:/pd/bin/pd -lib c:/pd/gem/gem."  Substitute
"c:/pd/gem" for the path containing the file gem.dll.  You could also
copy that file into the "extras" directory, and add the arguments "-path
c:/pd/extras", and simply "-lib gem"
You'll probably find that your pd command line starts getting quite
long, with a few libraries, audio and midi settings etc, in which case
you might want to make a .bat file which you can modify as you get
different externals and so on.  Maybe you already thought of that.
Maybe you double checked the manual and realised what you were doing
wrong with the command line already :-/.  Also, it's quite easy to only
get the gem documentation, and not the actual library when you download
it, in which case you need the "gem-binaries" thing from the website.

As for the rewards, I guess that's up to you...  But surely increasing
your effort and frustration at a given activity only to diminish the
rewards would suggest that keeping on plugging away was a somewhat
masochistic activity?

Have fun.

Peter