[PD] Re: Force Feedback Joysticks

vanDongen-Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 5 01:08:54 CET 2003

The linux driver allready does this for you (partly).
The thing is that a ff device is a small robot, with onboard memory and 2
motors. F.i. for periodic effects the waveform can be uploaded.

Simulated direct control of the force is easy. You upload a constant force
object with infinite duration, and then change the force and the direction.
With periodic effects you can change the period and the force ad the
direction. You have to start and stop to change the waveform I think,
although the driver may take care of this. It is a bit device dependent I
think. Of course this is still not the same as directly controlling the
electrical motors. But that is impossible I think, they are controlled by
the electronics in the joystick, and that reacts to certain USB messages.
Besides, if you want that, there are easier and cheaper ways to control
electrical motors with a computer.

I will send the code to you over the weekend.

Gerard

Hans-Christoph Steiner said at "Re: Force Feedback Joysticks."r[2003/03/04
03:54]