[PD] Video Effects in GEM?

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Wed Mar 5 03:58:32 CET 2003

>I'm starting to use GEM and i was thinking if i could
>apply some video effects in videos playing in GEM. I
>couldn't find anything on the examples, but maybe
>there's some external that i don't know. I know that
>there is PiDiP (but it's for Linux, i use Windows) and
>Framestein (it's seems too complicated right now to
>me). Like i said, i'm using PD and GEM with Windows,
>so, there's any possibility to apply some effects
>(changing color values, invert the colour of the
>video, black and white, etc.) to videos playing with GEM?

Hi

Yes you can apply effects and manipulations to video in GEM.  The
pix_ objects exist for this purpose.  Pix_offset will change color
values by adding or subtracting a static value from the image.
Pix_invert inverts the images color values.  You can also convert the
RGB image to grayscale.  There are lots of other objects available
for doing everything from blur to mixing to chroma-keying.  Various
non-pix_ objects also manipulate the image in unique ways using
openGL.

cgc