[PD] midi latency test

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Thu Mar 6 04:06:25 CET 2003

Well, I was going to actually cable this up, and then I realized that it's not
so easy with the standard soundblaster MIDI adapter I'm using, since it
doesn't provide female sockets, but instead, male cable ends. So in my case,
I can't just take a MIDI cable and connect the input to the output!

So jmf3 and PT147,  are you really talking about hardware MIDI, and if so, I
take it you both have a MIDI interface card other than the soundblaster
adaptor?  If not, the how did you do it? Yes you can pass it through the
Input and Through ports on a synth, but I think that first you would want to
make sure that the "thru" port is really a hardware circuit connection, and
not implemented in software in the synth.

If you _are_ really talking about MIDI, and not software emulation of it
within the PC, then even so, 35 to 40 ms seems a bit long (these are ms
values, right?).

PT147, you say that it's going to be more than 10. If this is milliseconds,
I'm not so sure why that would be normal, because a complete MIDI message
should go through the interface in about 1 ms. So any delay much greater than
this should be due to the operating system and it's drivers. Am I missing
something? Unoftunately, neither PT147 nor jmf3 said what OS they are running
on. I have the feeling that this is where the problem lies. jmf3, what do you
mean by "very high"?

Regards

Larry Troxler