[PD] midi latency test

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Thu Mar 6 09:40:00 CET 2003

I read:

> Do MIDI In jacks still use opto-isolator components?  I think they did
> in the original spec...  The rise- and fall-times could account for the
> added delay perhaps?

I get about 40-60 with the alsa virmidi driver (-nosound, or with audio,
makes no difference), if I use -audiobuf 5 I get ~20-30 but that is about
as low as it gets.

so basically this is too long, and the jitter is too high

But where does that come from ?
1/44.1*64 = 1.45ms for each block (i.e. between ctrl rate evaluations)
means ~35 ctrl rate 'cycles' between sending and receiving midi ?
since win2k suffers aswell it might not be specific to oss or alsa's
oss emulation ...

regards,

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)