[PD] midi latency test

Johannes Taelman Johannes.Taelman at rug.ac.be
Thu Mar 6 16:45:20 CET 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Greg Rippin wrote:

> Do MIDI In jacks still use opto-isolator components?  I think they did
> in the original spec...  The rise- and fall-times could account for the
> added delay perhaps?

Not possible.
1 bit at midi rate is 1/31250Hz = 32 microseconds
The rise- and fall-time of this optocoupler should be a fraction of that.

I also heard the myth more than once that there is a substantial delay
between midi-in and midi-thru ports. There is a delay from midi-in to
midi-out or a 'soft' midi-thru, because the midi-commands are parsed
before thay're retransmitted. A dedicated midi-thru is just a signal
buffer.

j#|@