[PD] gem pix_videoDarwin

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Fri Mar 7 02:18:37 CET 2003

>  >i found the flag to set for high_quality and added that to the code.
>>there are several other modes and i will look into adding those as
>>well.
>
>Thanks. So that others don't take this performance hit, would you
>consider dedicating a couple commands (messages to the [pix_videoDarwin]
>object) for this? I dunno how you're handling this.

i've added a [quality $1( message which understands 0..3 levels of
quality.  these modes make no difference visible or cpu wise using my
cheap iBot cam.  it most likely only works with DV input, which i
don't have at the moment.  pix_videoDarwin defaults to 1 which is
high quality.  there is also a [reset( message that resets the
quality chosen by the [quality( message.  in the future might be used
to change the size of the capture.

>I'm actually in PAL-land, but the TV will handle NTSC as well.
>What you suggest sounds like it. I'll try it as soon as I can get a turn
>on the telly.

for PAL you might want to try 720*576 which is what PAL DV uses.  the
TV should like it too.  maybe we need a few options for the
fullscreen size...

>  >what sort of crash occurs?  what's the hardware?
>
>Just Pd falling over. Nothing serious.

can you send a crash log?

>HW is a PB12", so the NVidia Go 420.

hmm i'd be interested in seeing how that performs compared to the ati
9000 in my tibook.  in general that should be a fine GEM gig box.

>  >>Any chance of putting a titlebar on the non-external display window?
>>
>>sure, at some point.  that requires an event loop for the window,
>>which could be tricky.  also, another event loop is exactly what
>>pd+GEM does not need at this point.
>
>Right. Good point.
>But I'm blown away by the performance right now.

well that's encouraging to hear.  try to use as much yuv stuff as
possible to avoid the 'RGB tax' . [pix_filmYUV] and [yuv_film] both
work for now.  yuv_videoDarwin will also work on video capture and
now has the same features as pix_videoDarwin.  at some point the pix_
objects will be able to do both color-spaces but right now openGL
doesn't like switching them on the fly.

cgc