[PD] synthesis

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Mar 7 19:23:28 CET 2003

Hallo,
Matthew Nish-Lapidus hat gesagt: // Matthew Nish-Lapidus wrote:

> i'm just wondering if anybody has built any synth patches in pd and
> what kinds of synthesis you have used.

On footils.org I published several synthesis patches and externals.
There are a lot of FM-synthesis thingies, which is one of my favourite
old-time synthesis techniques.

My angriff drum module uses a bit of substractive synthesis, i.e.
filter rich signals (noise~ in my case) in various ways. Substractive
synthesis also is the base for my pd303 abstraction, but it requires
LADSPA plugins, so runs only on Linux and OS-X, sorry. And my buzz~
external is like substractive synthesis without substractions.

To get a start with substractive synthesis, I'd recommend the cool
"Synth-Building with Max/MSP tutorial" on
http://www.creativesynth.com/tutorials/004_SynthBuildingMSP/sbm_index.html

It is Max-specific, but it's very well written and as you already know
Pd, you might be able to work around the missing objects.

Waveshaping is an interesting concept as well, and also a classic
technique with astonishing results for being so primitive. I played
with it in the waveshaper Pd-app on footils.org

Then granular synthesis is quite popular, but apart from simple
pitch/time shifting it is to be rather difficult to use sucessfully.

Although I provide the syncgrain~ external on footils.org, I use it
only rarely, and when I do, it's to get glitch sounds.

ciao