[PD] synthesis

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu umbpux at tin.it
Fri Mar 7 20:21:16 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 19:23, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Then granular synthesis is quite popular, but apart from simple
> pitch/time shifting it is to be rather difficult to use sucessfully.

In my (still not deep) experience it requires accurate choice and
exploration of the sample(s) you are using. Also a granulation patch can
be used to achieve many different things depending on the scales of
values of the parameters that you are using: it can be a pitch shifter
or a randomized sampler or kind-of riverberator. I find this really
fascinating and in next months I would like to explore it working
together with other synthesis techniques. Control on the granulation
sequencer may be relevant and expressive when you are working at lower
granulation frequencies.

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu.