[PD] pd on gericom masterpiece 2440

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Sat Mar 8 21:56:06 CET 2003

>so,
>
>would a nvidia card be better/safer choice for a linux-notebook?

for drivers the answer is yes.  nvidia has the best linux driver
support right now.  the geforce4 in the laptops is equivalent to a
geforce4MX not a Ti model so they don't have any of the advanced
hardware shaders.  the ati 9000 has hardware shaders.

GEM is not using the hardware shaders yet...  but i have an ati 9000
in my laptop (g4 titanium) so the possibility is there to write some
stuff.  however, it is probably best to wait until openGL 2.0 and
it's unified HSL (hardware shader language) is available in final
form.  perhaps by this time next year most of GEM's image processing
can be done fully on a chip like the ati 9000.  the geforce4mx will
never be able to do this sort of processing (it's actually closer to
a geforce2mx than geforce4 ti).

so your choice is basically between compatibility and driver support
today, and the possibility of high performance processing in the
future.  if you must go linux then nvidia is probably the safe
choice, but the ati chip will be better in the long run in windows
and possibly linux depending on the driver support.  all driver
issues being equal i would choose the ati 9000 over the nvidia
geforce4mx without hesitation.

oh and 3.7kg+42mm thick with a desktop P4 doesn't sound like a very
nice portable device.  hot, heavy, and battery hungry ;)

cgc