impulses (was: Re: [PD] help making a square wave?)

PT147 at mdx.ac.uk PT147 at mdx.ac.uk
Sat Mar 8 22:18:28 CET 2003

Pix - thanks for the comments.  Of course, it slipped my mind to do that
- the square wave question reminded me of it, but I still managed to
miss the connection. D'...-uh.  I'm not too fussed about cpu in this
instance, and do want pretty small clicks from quite low frequency
oscillators (I'm trying to experiment with impulses and feedback of
various delays).  I just hadn't bothered to make a really small number
when I tried before.  Actually, since writing I've realised that it
actually doesn't work as I'd expect either - comparing to really small
numbers causes it to do a bit of improv rhythm instead.  Chalk one up
for the glitch list, I guess.  I'll use reaktor, as I've got it and does
what I want fine in this case.

I guess it would still be nice to have a low cpu square wave, though, if
the audio compare objects are costy - would they be more expensive than,
for example, the version Frank Barknecht posted, despite looking
simpler?  cpu cycles are money, people ;-).