[PD] pd on gericom masterpiece 2440

pix pix at test.at
Sun Mar 9 06:49:29 CET 2003

just to reiterate the point, the radeon 9000 has a "full featured" driver
supplied by ati (closed source, the graphics chip industry is a cloak and
dagger affair presently - the current ati staff conference attire is an
urban cammo tshirt with the ati logo).

http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html

unlike the nvidia chips, it _appears_ that the radeon 9000 _mobility_
(laptop version) is compatible with the normal desktop version, whereas
with nvidia, the similarity between model numbers of mobility and desktop
cards is purely cosmetic. i mention this because there are reports of the
desktop raadeon 9000 driver working on the mobility version - behaviour
you wouldn't expect with nvidia chips.

in addition to the closed source driver from ati, you can also choose from
the driver that comes with xfree (providing only 2d accelleration
apparently), or the driver from dri.sf.net which may or may not provide
some 3d support. and if for some reason none of these does what you want,
you can look into acceleratedX (the theory being that they have licensed
hardware info from ati, which is why you have to pay for it - they seem to
be quite focussed on multihead support which will be important if you want
to do any kind of video performance).

if it weren't for the fact that my current laptop is working adequately at
the moment, i'd probably buy something with an ati card in it. *waits for
current laptop to burst into flames*

or you can just wait a few months until nvidia leapfrogs ati again ;)

pix.