[PD] tcl inside of PD

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Sun Mar 9 12:37:07 CET 2003

hi august,

I read:
> 1.) since pd is based on tcl/tk, would it be possible (easy?) to impliment
> the tcl scripting language inside of PD?

I guess tcl is reasonably easy to embed in an external, but I doubt that
it would be any easier because of the gui using it already, anyway
http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/HowToC.html might be of interest.

> 2.) when externals and/or libraries are included in the pd path (say in
> the .pdrc file) are they loaded into entirely into memory or just
> registered somehow?  I have the feeling that librarys are loaded, but
> externals are not.

IIUC everything you put after -lib will be searched for and the setup
function will be called (no matter if it's a lib or a single extern)
if you use -path the libs are loaded as needed (i.e. when you create a
[zexy] or [mysingleextern~] object).

regards,

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)