[PD] tcl inside of PD

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Sun Mar 9 12:44:26 CET 2003

Hi August.

> 1.) since pd is based on tcl/tk, would it be possible (easy?) to impliment
> the tcl scripting language inside of PD?

it's possible for sure - it's a task comparable to my py/pyext-externals.
You may have a look at them at
http://www.parasitaere-kapazitaeten.net/ext

> 2.) when externals and/or libraries are included in the pd path (say in
> the .pdrc file) are they loaded into entirely into memory or just
> registered somehow?  I have the feeling that librarys are loaded, but
> externals are not.

This is right. The setup functions (which registers the classes along with
their methods) of these external files are loaded either at pd startup (with
the -lib command) or at instantiation of an object (the external is then
searched via -path). Once loaded the information stays in the system.
It's not precise to say that they are "loaded entirely into memory" because
memory consumption will in most cases take place when an object is created,
not upon loading (which is "registering") a library or single external.
So, (both for libraries or single externals) you can choose to "-lib" them
at startup or load them on demand by creating an object (a library can also
be loaded by creating an object with the library name).

best greetings,
Thomas