[PD] tcl inside of PD

Josh Steiner joschi at eds.org
Sun Mar 9 22:55:03 CET 2003

Thomas Grill wrote:

>This is right. The setup functions (which registers the classes along with
>their methods) of these external files are loaded either at pd startup (with
>the -lib command) or at instantiation of an object (the external is then
>searched via -path). Once loaded the information stays in the system.
>It's not precise to say that they are "loaded entirely into memory" because
>memory consumption will in most cases take place when an object is created,
>not upon loading (which is "registering") a library or single external.
>So, (both for libraries or single externals) you can choose to "-lib" them
>at startup or load them on demand by creating an object (a library can also
>be loaded by creating an object with the library name).
>
>best greetings,
>Thomas

i didnt realise this... are there any problems with dropouts and the
like with using -path for large externals?  so far i always use -lib for
all my externals, but if there isnt any problem with dynamically loading
up the .dll's as i use them i'll probably switch to that if only to
speed up my pd startup time.

-josh

independent u.s. drum'n'bass -- http://vitriolix.com