[PD] Setting Pd's period size to be fine with Quattro

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Mar 11 15:35:42 CET 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, pix wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:36:03 +0100 (CET)
> guenter geiger <geiger at xdv.org> wrote:
>
> > Which version exhibits this problem ?
> > THe debian repackaged and the version in CVS have fundamentally
> > different ALSA drivers.
>
> meaning the cvs version is probably better? i didn't realise this and just
> grabbed it and tried to see if it gave me any better alsa performance, but
> no such luck.

:( It gives better performance on the Hammerfall cards at least.

> my age old alsa/pd problem would be rendered by frank as
>
> "doooooo-crunch-doooooo-crunch-doooooo" ;)
>
> the crunching is somewhat irregular.

.. well thats a completely different case then ... :)

> i've had this problem with all of the pd version i've tried (that would be
> almost every miller tarball, and just now, the cvs version).
>
> > You should be able to set the buffersize -blocksize and number of
> > fragments with -frags ... but ..
>
> setting these values higher doesn't seem to give me any better results.
> setting them lower degrades the situation predictably.
>
> anyhow, sorry about the vagueness of the problem report. but it would be
> great if i could get around this, as the alsa usb audio driver seems to
> (appart from this show stopping click) be able to do 6channel output with
> my emi2|6 under pd.

Do you have any full duplex programs running with that ?
Which ones ?
I think the only way to go with ALSA is to copy working code, so if
we have a program that does full duplex in a similar way ...

What about jack ?

Might all the problems that we encounter be related to USB in general
(Frank said its working on his desktop but not on his notebook ..)
Well, after all, pretty clueless

Greetings,

Guenter