[PD] GEM codec windows

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Thu Mar 13 23:03:50 CET 2003

Hi Matt,

When I did some comparisons and profiling of Windows video codecs a while
back, I was quite surprised by the results:
- the decompression time for most codecs was less than the texture upload
time.

To the degree that the choice of codec didn't affect overall performance
very much...  this is probably partly due to the fact that VFW codecs are
all quite old and were developed for much slower machines than we have now.
My machine isn't anything special: 1Ghz PIII.

Disk space and bandwidth become critical tho, particularly if you're working
with multiple clips or using the disk for audio streaming or whatever.  So
you should find a codec that gives the best visual quality at a sustainable
data rate.

Visually speaking, Indeo and Cinepak are pretty nasty (although cinepak has
a greyscale mode that might be useful for b/w clips). MJPEG is good but I'm
not sure if there's a free VFW codec available.  The midivid VJ codec is
quite a good free option that I've used quite a lot:
http://www.midivid.com/codec/download.html

Hopefully I'll roll some more DirectShow stuff into GEM CVS soon which will
allow you to use more modern DS codecs (MP4, DivX, DV, etc.) for film

Daniel