[PD] could OSC support tcp?

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu umbpux at tin.it
Sun Mar 16 08:10:51 CET 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 07:35, eskogen at usfamily.net wrote:
> hi list
>
> will OSC ever support tcp? let's say i wanted to send data to my friend so-and-so across the internet to such-and-such place. i'd like it to be OSC and i'd like to use Pd. is there a way to do this? seems like if we can have udp, we should be able to have tcp with a minumum of effort, right?
>
> i thought it might be something special to have a network any Pd user could connect to and send arbitrary data even. like an IRC type of thing, sending OSC data with consistant patch selection would give realtime performance across the globe, right?
>
> however, i had another related question. how can one assure consistant real-time performance beyond net-lag? are timetag messages reliable for this? i'm just getting interested in OSC so any help would be welcome.

When your packet come few seconds later with few seconds jitter there is
little a protocol can do.

In my understanding, commonly used network technology is not made for
real-time. There are specific cases when it can be used in practice: for
example OSC over UDP in a local area network works.

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu.