[PD] could OSC support tcp?

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sun Mar 16 15:21:18 CET 2003

On Sunday 16 March 2003 02:10, Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 07:35, eskogen at usfamily.net wrote:
> > hi list
> >
> > will OSC ever support tcp? let's say i wanted to send data to my friend
> > so-and-so across the internet to such-and-such place. i'd like it to be
> > OSC and i'd like to use Pd. is there a way to do this? seems like if we
> > can have udp, we should be able to have tcp with a minumum of effort,
> > right?
> >
> > i thought it might be something special to have a network any Pd user
> > could connect to and send arbitrary data even. like an IRC type of thing,
> > sending OSC data with consistant patch selection would give realtime
> > performance across the globe, right?
> >
> > however, i had another related question. how can one assure consistant
> > real-time performance beyond net-lag? are timetag messages reliable for
> > this? i'm just getting interested in OSC so any help would be welcome.
>
> When your packet come few seconds later with few seconds jitter there is
> little a protocol can do.

Sure there is. If the data is time-stamped, this seems perfectly suited for
sending time-stamped events in real-time, and reconstructing them a few
seconds later ("a few seconds" being the maximum network latency).

Now one can argue that this isn't real-time, and it's probably not what
eskogen had in mind, but to me such a thing would be quite usefull.

("Dude, what was that riff we came up with last night? I forgot it." "Ok bro,
you got your OSC on?" "Yeah, man let's hear it")

Larry Troxler