[PD] [OT] operating systems?

delire delire at selectparks.net
Mon Mar 17 20:13:02 CET 2003

while i have used Redhat 8.0 and a couple of generations of SuSe yet by far prefer Debian which I have used for a few years now. currently i run a 2.4.20 kernel with usb, usb-midi, firewire and the alsa drivers on my dell inspiron laptop. debian has excellent package management [for installing and uninstalling packages locally or over networks], and is flexible enough to ensure that new editions do not ever require re-installation. this allows me to easily upgrade both kernel and packages whenever i like.

debian is also very good on a laptop as the installation process allows the user to build only what they need on the system, hence saving valuable diskspace. the debian community is large and enthusiastic, so help during this process [if needed] is never far away.

if you ever need a hand with getting debian onto your laptop let me know. i have installed it onto several laptops and so may be able to assist.

julian oliver

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:56:58 -0600