[PD] mp3write~ memoryleak

Joreg Diessl joreg at gmx.at
Mon Mar 17 15:01:48 CET 2003

halo.

it took me a long time to find out why my pc freezes after about 30
minutes of operation. but now i think i found something.

i am using [mp3write~] to generate an mp3 file that is then taken by
an other program and moved to a different folder (i can't do that
within pd, right?). now i noticed that my system is continuously
loosing memory while this patch is running. when there is no more
physical memory available (which i am observing with taskmanager) the
system freezes. closing pd priort to a freeze releases all the memory again.

the attached patch is a simplified version of the patch i am using.
after stopping the mp3write~ i seem to have to open a dummy.mp3 file to
release the other file to make it possible for another application to copy
it. for my purpose i would use mode "truncate" of [mp3write~] then, but
using modes "truncate" or "append" doesn't seem to make a difference.

using [writesf~] instead of [mp3write~] works. but i need .mp3 files.
this happens running pd 0.36-0 on w2k and wxp using mp3write~ version 0.1

help meee youu.
joreg.

current: http://vvvv.meso.net
allstar: http://joreg.ath.cx