[PD] send and receive with several $ args

PT147 at mdx.ac.uk PT147 at mdx.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 21:28:02 CET 2003

Hello list,

Is there an equivalent of the remote object to receive on a given
symbol?  I want this to be set on the creation of an abstraction by
something like [pack $1 $2 $3] -> [makesymbol %s-%s-%s-foo].  Also, on
send, using the pack object seems to add the word 'list' to the
beginning of the list, meaning that remote sends to list, rather than
the desired destination.  Is this a bug in remote?

I know sending and receiving on symbols defined by several $ variables
has been covered before -
http://iem.kug.ac.at/mailinglists/pd-list/2001-06/0126.html (not the
url, the page ;) is Miller's explenation, but I can't quite see how to
use this in order to acheive what I want.  I want to be able to put give
a high level abstraction three arguments which will define the send and
/ or receive symbols contained inside, and I don't see how something
fixed inside the abstraction (as b1 etc are in Miller's example) help.
I also want to duplicate such abstractions quite extensively.  I may be
missing something really basic, as the question has been answered
before, but any further light on the matter would be appreciated.

I suppose a receive variation with an inlet to define it's symbol would
be quite easy to code?  A bit of pd is about as deep into programming as
I have got.

Sorry for being so verbose (and sending much the same post several times
this evening), and thanks again for any insights.

Regards,

Peter