[PD] GEM: drowing "flowers" in GEM

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 19 00:14:58 CET 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, arm pdlist wrote:

> I want to draw some geometric forms in GEM that resemble something
> like a flower. I want to watch the draw growing, like in a fractal
> algorithm, but the end result should be like a flower or something
> resembling an organic form. I was toying with the particles, but i
> didn't find any that would work. Does anyone have any ideas or tried
> to do this?

a petal-like shape can be obtained by drawing sine curves in the polar
domain. something like this for N petals:

"time": t from 0 to 1
radius: r = sin(PI*N*t)
angle:  a = t

then you convert into cartesian:

x = r*cos(angle)
y = r*sin(angle)

you could take points for t going from 0 to 1/N and make that a polygon.

growth of plants, is dictated by the Fibonacci sequence, as discovered by
the Arabs during the middle ages.

The angle difference between two branches coming out of the stem is one
number from the Fibonacci sequence divided by the next one.

the Fibonacci sequence goes like 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,... where every
number is the sum of the two preceding ones.