[PD] installing pd-0.36-extended2 with tcl/tk 8.4 on windows

eskogen at usfamily.net eskogen at usfamily.net
Wed Mar 19 07:07:30 CET 2003

hi kids,

to my great suprise, the pd-0.36-extended2 package off sourceforge compiles under windows with a minimum of effort. i spent only about 30 minutes getting it working with tcl/tk 8.4 and i'd highly recommend it. the interface seems much less sluggish and i even like the scrollbars better.

i have a few tips for anybody who's interested in getting this working on win32 (i'm using windows XP)

i download activestate's windows binaries of tcl/tk 8.4 (just released this month)

in s_inter.c:

change line 654
- strcat(wishbuf, "/bin/wish83.exe");
+ strcat(wishbuf, "/bin/wish84.exe");

change line 657
- spawnret = _spawnl(P_NOWAIT, wishbuf, "wish83", scriptbuf, portbuf, 0);
+ spawnret = _spawnl(P_NOWAIT, wishbuf, "wish84", scriptbuf, portbuf, 0);

s_path.c has some weird bug on my machine.
it doesn't accept "bin" as being defined in the macro, so i did this really ugly thing before each file open (the two places NTOPENFLAG is called, but left undefined):

// eric's stupid hack
#ifndef NTOPENFLAG
#ifdef NT
if (bin) {
	#define NTOPENFLAG _O_BINARY
} else {
	#define NTOPENFLAG _O_TEXT
}
#endif
#endif

if i was a programmer, i'd be able to tell you how much that sucks.
but i'm not so i'll leave it to the pd-list to ridicule me...

in pd.tk :

change line 1
- set pd_nt 0
- set pd_nt 1

this is a standard change, but it could trip you up

change line 26
- load $pd_guidir/bin/pdtcl
+ load [file join [pwd] pdtcl.DLL]

the new tcl/tk has a problem with the path, so i did a bad thing and basically hardcoded it. any tips on how to do this alternately?

now, make sure your libs and includes are pointing to/mirroring the new tcl/tk 8.4. compile, and run! yay!

so, THANK YOU to everyone who's been working on the extension code. everything seems to run really smoothly.

--eric