[PD] PD 0.36-0 and Jack 0.61.0 doesn't work?

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sat Mar 22 01:48:47 CET 2003

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 15:13, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Can you see, if jackd ist still running? If not, then this is the
> problem I reported last thursday or friday: Pd -realtime can take too
> long to load a complex patch and a lot of libraries and this seems to
> just kill jackd.
>
> I needed to get this running for my Pd-talk on the LAD conference and
> I still cannot use Pd with the Quattro on my notebook directly
> (-alsa), so I *needed* -jack on saturday running with a complex patch.
>
> My solution was, to hack s_linux.c and disable the jack_connect
> functionality at all. Then the complex patch would load, and atfer
> everything is set up, I would jack_connect Pd by hand (or with a small
> shell script) I still would prefer a startup option like
> "-jack-connect 0/1/alsa_pcm_out_1".

Well, first I have some good news from my camp - Paul Davis announced a new
CVS commit a couple of days ago on the jack-devel list:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1853444&forum_id=3040

... and this new version seems to generally solve most of the problems I was
reporting on the list earlier. Now, running PD doesn't give any errors apart
from the DIO error light being lit on the test patch.

But there is something strange going on that I can see, even before I begin to
troubleshoot this:

I think I now understand the problem you (Frank) have, and the reason you
hacked the jack_connect functionality. It seems (If I understand correctly,
and that we are indeed talking about the same problem), that PD sees fit to
connect its Jack client to the DAC jack client (in my case, ALSA) on startup.

At least, after I start Jack, then start PD, then run qjackconnect (which, BTW
did _not_ need to be recompiled to use with this Jack snapshot I got - the
Planet CCRMA binary works fine!), I see that the Jack PD clients (two of
them- one for each channel I suppose) have been connected to the the JACK
alsa clients.  So it seems that PD does indeed connect itself on startup.  Is
there a way to disable this? Certainly I don't want it to connect to the
soundcard through Jack,  because if that were the case, there would be no
point in using Jack at all. Perhaps I am missing some understanding about the
Jack concept.

Is there a way to make more Jack clients avalable to PD, so that one audio
output for example, goes to the DAC, and another one goes to an audio
recorder? If so, (1) how is this specified on the PD command line, and (2)
how would you decide from PD, which jack client audio input or output you
want to connect to, in a given box? (For example, dac~ just takes a number of
signal inputs equal to the number of output channels - how would you tell PD
which Jack client the DAC stream should be sent to?)

I remember reading about a jack~ box for PD - is this what you would use if
you want multiple audio inputs/outputs?

I apologize in advance for the confused questions :-)

Larry