[PD] Fwd: no sound on Macos

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Sat Mar 22 20:43:03 CET 2003

>Right. Well, it compiles and runs just fine on my machine when I replace
>portaudio/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c with the new one and recompile. I'm
>just using my normal internal sound driver, though. Best I can say is "it
>compiles, and it doesn't seem to break anything obvious."

that's good news.

>These are the changes since the last pa_mac_core.c synched with Pd:

<snip>

the thing that sort of concerns me is that portaudio seems to need
patching to support every new device release for OSX.  this is not
good, and pretty much defeats a lot of what CoreAudio is meant to do.
plus the AudioConverter routine adds another buffer to the I/O chain
which might mean at least another 64 samples of latency on both ends.
pd already has a relatively high latency on OSX right now, so this
isn't going to help out.

>What should I do?
>1) Check in the new pa_mac_core.c and let curious people compile the
>devel_0_36 branch?
>2) Point people to the portaudio tarball and let them experiment with the
>sources themselves? <http://portaudio.com/archives/pa_snapshot_v18.tar.gz>
>3) Seed a new pd/bin/pd binary to people who want to test the updated
>portaudio stuff with a range of hardware?

CVS is a good place for testing and experimentation.  go ahead and
commit it and i will compile a version and give it to some people
using devices like the 828 and report back.

also, i would be interested in working on a direct CoreAudio
implementation for pd.  i'm tied up on a project until the second
week in April, so i won't even take a look until then.  anyone else
interested in doing this?

cgc