[PD] raw mouse data

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Mar 25 15:39:48 CET 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:04:25 -0800 (PST)
Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

> I want to use the mouse as a controller but I don't want it limited by the
> screen size. So basically I want to be able to use the raw data straight
> from the mouse.

I did this by reading the serial port directly using the [serialctl] object or similar and then parsing the raw values from the mouse (in PS/2 format, but you don't need to get that complex). [Can be very nifty if you attach a mouse to a real turntable like on http://www.terminatorx.cx/turntable.html] I think the values sent back are acceleration vectors in one dimension. You can multiply them to whatever scale you like.
Make sure X isn't using taht mouse (I had two meese plugged in - only one of them used by X).

Regards,

Chris.
chris at mccormick.cx
http://www.mccormick.cx