[PD] jack

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Mar 27 19:43:13 CET 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, pix wrote:
> finally success, using the latest devel_0_36 checkout, and the jack 0.50
> from debian ...
>
> actually what was making me think that it wasn't working was that i needed
> to set "-n 3" to avoid getting staticy noise with my emi2|6.

yes, you have to get your settings right with jack ...

> i can now use all 6 channels of my emi2|6 (athough you have to hook them
> up manually with jack_connect).

oops. thats a bug. fixed in CVS.

> i get 92ms latency, it looks like that would be about 32ms if i used alsa
> directly (but i get terrible "continuity"). just mentioning that incase
> anyone is interested. i personally don't do anything that requires low
> latency.
>
> i also noticed that using a realtime jack and a realtime pd, i could do
> pretty much anything on the machine without interrupting audio. but if i
> tried to draw on a graph in pd, i still get audio dropouts (well, crackles
> and A/D/A sync errors). if you ask me, that seems very wrong.

yes, drawing in arrays is the worst thing you can do together
with selecting several objects and moving them around.

This is a problem of the pd<->GUI connection and how array
drawing and updating is handled in pd ATM.

Guenter