[PD] jack

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Mar 29 10:19:10 CET 2003

Hallo,
pix hat gesagt: // pix wrote:

> yeah.. i just saw a note on an alsa page, that you should set the
> -p(eriod) to a multiple of 48 when using the emi2|6 (to fit the native
> sample rate).

More exactly, the reason is, that USB-audio gets delivered in chunks
of a fixed time (every 1000 or 100 msecs, I think), whereas standard
soundcards have a buffer, that is sized in samples. So if you are
running the interface at 48kHz, your period should be a multiple of
48, so that it can match the usb-buffer with integer multiples.

I'm not sure, if what I say above is fully correct, it's just what I
remember from talk with Takashi Iwai and I might be wrong...

And actually I can run Pd just fine on my Quattro without using the
multiple of 48.

> should i avoid reading too much into "ATM"? ;)
>
> the idea of skimping on the interface reminds me far too much of doing
> purely midi controlled csound/sfront patches.

GUI and DSP are still tightly coupled in Pd, so it's not really
skimping, but a hard task, to de-couple both again.

ciao