[PD] Idle crash

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu mauriziopuxeddu at yahoo.it
Sun Mar 30 23:45:35 CEST 2003

Hi.

Last week I used Pure-Data and my application MetaControl in a 3-day
workshop on radical improvisation at the conservatory of Cagliari.
Sadly, with the exception of my teacher, I was the only electronic
performer. I started recently to practice improvisation on a regular
basis but it has been a very interesting experience.

Speaking of software/hardware set up, I used Pure-Data running on a
desktop system (RedHat 8.0 + PlanetCCRMA and a M-Audio Delta 66) near
the mixer connected via ethernet to MetaControl running on my laptop (+
a pocket fader and a graphic tablet) in front of the stage.

Both PD and MetaControl worked fine with one exception: I left PD's DSP
turned on and the mixer open while I was listening to an other group and
suddently and without any apparent cause my machine started to send
trash to the loudspeakers. I ran to the mixer but a "smart" guy
unplugged the main power so I could not check what happend.

I'm pretty sure it was not some random event sent by MetaControl or the
tablet.

I often use PD for the whole day but, for a reason or another, I usually
restart it frequently. During the workshop it was running from
8:00-10:00 am to 7:30 pm. As anyone had problems in similar
systems/situations? With ALSA?
In testtone.pd/[pd more] is read "ALSA gets twisted after a few hours
sometimes... use this to fix". Was it the case?

Regards,

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu.