[PD] OSC and PD!

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Tue Apr 8 02:00:28 CEST 2003

>I actually found two different versions of the OSC external for Mac
>OSX. One is from http://barely.a.live.fm/pd/ and contains three
>Darwin files (sendOCS.pd_darwin, routeOSC.pd_darwin, and
>dumpOSC.pd_darwin) without any documentation or help patches. The
>other is from http://homepage.mac.com/atl/sw which only contains one
>Darwin file (OSC.pd_darwin), but does not contain documentation or
>example patches either. I'm not sure what the differences are
>between the two builds of OSC, or how to use OSC in PD.

check the /doc directory in the farmersmanual version.  it has an
example patch that shows you how to use OSC.  it's really quite
simple: set up a send object with a port number to send packets to,
and a receive object with the IP address of the the send object's
machine

>By the way, what makes OSC any better/worse/different than
>netsend/netreceive, or netclient/netserver?

OSC works in Pd, Max, SuperCollider and other software (even Flash
and Director).  That seems to be reason enough for most to choose OSC
over netsend/receive.

cgc