[PD] directories in PD

d.casal at uea.ac.uk d.casal at uea.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 12:57:33 CEST 2003

Josh Steiner wrote:
> i'm not too sure if there are other easier ways, but you could get a
> directory listing using the [shell] object (i think from GGEE) if you
> happen to be running linux, im not sure it exists for windows (it may)

> devnull wrote:
>> there's a command/external that lets me work with directories? the goal
>> would be some batch/automatic loading of multiple sound files.

This is probably -not- the easiest way, but perhaps a good idea if you
want a lot a flexibility as to what you do with directory listings
later on...use Grill's pyext, write a python script:

import pyext

class dir(pyext._class):

        _inlets=1
        _outlets=1

        def bang_1(self):
                import dircache
                a=dircache.listdir('/usr/local/pd') #change to whatever
sound dir
                self._outlet(1,a)

Then load with [pyext nameofscript nameofclass] ...should work in
whatever platform you have pd/pyext. Example above is just a bang
method, but read grill/py/scripts in the CVS tree (or downloaded
tarball), the simple.py script explains how pyext works and how to
write for it...

David Casal

e:  d.casal at uea.ac.uk

w:  ariada.uea.ac.uk/~dcasal