[PD] windows 2000 latency?

dmerrill at media.mit.edu dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Tue Apr 8 16:16:29 CEST 2003

Hi there -

What kind of latency should I expect out of a windows2000 machine running PD? I
measured an impulse going through my laptop running PD, with the following
patch:

adc~ -> dac~

and it took about 224msec. When speaking into the microphone, this "echo" is
really noticeable.  My laptop is a Thinkpad pentium750, 256MB, with the built-
in soundcard..  Is there any way to cut this latency way down?  I'd like to get
it down to no more than 20msec.  Or do I need a faster machine?  Or Linux?

thanks,
David Merrill