[PD] No midi as root

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Apr 10 08:23:09 CEST 2003

Hallo,
Allan Baker hat gesagt: // Allan Baker wrote:

> My problem: When I run pd as root (to use -rt) I have no midi. Everything
> works well when I run as a user. As root, everything works except for
> midi. I assume that I have missed something simple. Any help will be
> appreciated.
>
> pmidi -l gives
>  Port     Client name                       Port name
>  64:0     External MIDI 0                   MIDI 0-0
>  65:0     OPL3 FM synth                     OPL3 Port
>
> and pmidi -p 64:0 foo.mid plays the keyboard.

This won't help you much, because 64:0 is an ALSA sequencer port, but
Pd only uses the raw midi devices: /dev/midi0, /dev/midi1, ..., /dev/midi20

Make sure the module snd-seq-oss is loaded and you have setup ALSA to
support OSS-emulation. You might want to refer to the Linux
MIDI-Howto, the chapter about Softsynths and aconnect (which I wrote
and which apparently has helped many people so far).

ciao