[PD] Re:[OT] How do your performance environments looks like?

vanDongen-Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 10 13:42:56 CEST 2003

Hi Maurizio,

I am using pd for live improvisations and for quick prototyping of sound
effect programming.
For the performances I use 2 main patches.
One is a recursive pattern sequencer. It can run and loop a pattern, but
every step can trigger an time scaled instance of that pattern. Up to 2
levels deep. I tried with more recursions, but that didn't give a useful
result with the processor power I have available.  It could be a way to
make granular textures though.
The patch has 4 pattern sequencers running independently. The sounds are
made with  csound~ objects, which also does the scheduling of the
recursions. (I am just giving it score lines)

Control is done with a doepfer midifader box, the regelwerk  (which also as
a buildin patternsequencer, and is what got me started using patterns). And
with a forcefeedback joystick. The forcefeedback is used to shake the stick
for every sound/event in the primary pattern. The trigger is used to play/
add notes to the pattern. Topbuttons select which of the 4 patterns to work
in, the hat is sed to delete events. The x and y and z (twist) axis of the
joystick cntrol the sound.
I am continously tweaking this patch and the csound orcs and scores. After
every performace I change it a little bit. But it is slowly getting to be a
"real" instrument. I still want to add a kind of variable resistance using
force feedback to the joystick, to create zones or ridges in the physical
response.
(Actually I would like to work with a 6 degree of freedom haptic interface,
but those are very expensive, they are used for remote surgery and NASA)
Output is to my mixer with has nice parametric eq and then back to some
effects in the pd patch. (tempo based delay, shifts, fm distortion)
The music is some kind of abstract techno? I think it has a beat, but most
people can't/won't dance to it.

The other patch I use, is for combination with accoustic piano. I have just
started it. It used artificial neural nets to seperate  the input and send
it to various long (1 minute+) delay lines. Eventually it is supposed to
work with multiple inputs so I can use it as an music controlled effect
device for enseble improvisations. I wanted to get away from having to use
controls at the same time as playing an accoustc instrument. I have done
things usng analog gates and effect processors for esemble, where th
playing triggers effects on the _other_musicians, and you have no control
over the electronics on your own instrument.
Although I might use the joystick in this context. A racing wheel attached
to the piano will look better, almost bought one, but not enough controls.
The music is "free" electro accoustic music. (I am practicing a score I
wrote right now, so it is not free all the time)

regards
Gerard

pd-list-request at iem.kug.ac.at said at "PD-list digest, Vol 1 #363 - 12
msgs."r[2003/04/09 14:45]