[PD] GEM: how to help myself

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Thu Apr 10 20:22:18 CEST 2003

>Hi-
>
>I'm trying to figure out how to use the GEM object pix_blur. I don't
>believe that it is documented.
>So my question is both specific and general---
>
>1- What are the right inputs for the pix_blur object?

that's the blur amount, which basically sets how much of the image is
copied back to the feedback buffer.  currently the range is from 0 to
255, although maybe floats from 0 to 1 makes more sense.  also, the
object should probably be called pix_motionblur anyway.

>2- And more importantly, where can I  find this information?... ie.
>by looking in a uncompiled file to figure it all out for myself.

lots of the latest CVS stuff isn't documented yet, and at some point
the documentation will catch up to the coding.  for now you can look
at the code to see what the messages and inlets do by going to the
bottom of the .cpp file and look for
class_addmethod(...gensym("blah")).  in the case of pix_blur, the
message is simply "blur" and sending a message like [blur 200( to the
object will set the blur value to 200.

>Thanks for any help.

sure.  thanks for bearing with us during development.  as always,
anyone is free to write up docs, help files and tutorials for GEM.
you will earn lots of appreciation from GEM'ers around the world for
your efforts.

cgc