[PD] Re:[OT] How do your performance environments looks like?

vanDongen-Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 10 23:24:44 CEST 2003

It looks good to have the joystick move by itself :)

I am still exploring.
What it does now, is that I can feel the impact of an percussive sound, and
at the same time feel the pulse the computer/machine is creating. So this
makes the joystick less vague, my actions become embedded in the rythms
they create , sort of.
My orginal background is in accoustic instruments, and I always miss the
physical interaction with most electronic controlers.
What I am working on is to match the "feel" of the joystick with the sound
aspects that I am controlling.
FF is not just pushes, you can also set spring effects, so for instance, if
there is  a filter with a strong resonance, and you control the pitch with
the joystick, you can set it up that you feel when you get  into the
resonance area.
It might push you towards the resonance or  away from it, with a deadband
on the resonance. Obviously you can hear it if you make a sound, but if the
sound is only made when you press the trigger it s nice to have a touch
interface of where you are. That way you don't ave to look at the screen
f.i.

All in all, it makes the computer a much more physical musical instrument,
instead of a box on desk where somebody is doing something that may or may
not be related to the sound you hear. With most laptop performances I
always suspect that the players are playing quake and I am hearing a CD.

Gerard

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu said at "Re: [PD] Re:[OT] How do your performance
environments looks like?."r[2003/04/10 19:00]