[PD] Objects with the same name.

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Sat Apr 12 10:54:04 CEST 2003

marius schebella schrieb:

> AFAIK there is no defined searching order for objects. does the object,
> which is chosen depend on the order in which libraries are loaded during
> pd-start?

At least on Win it does. But I think on OS X it's not even possible to load two
objects with the same name (but I'm not 100% shure about that). It just says:

/pd/bin/pd multiple definitions of symbol _scale_setup
  Gem.pd_darwin definition of _scale_setup
maxlib.pd_darwin definition of _scale_setup

> there could be a solution for the concerning objects, to use a name like
> c.counter, or cyclone.counter which should be a synonym for the counter
> object of the cyclone library.

This is my solution for the next (soon to come [maybe tomorrow]) maxlib release.
Object names will then be maxlib_<oldobjectname>. This way if in doubt typing
for example 'maxlib_scale' will make shure to use scale from maxlib, not from
Gem. The old name swill still be an option to be backwards compatible and could
be used as long as no problems occur. To make this work maxlib should be loaded
as last library.
This will (hopefully) also solve the problem in OS X because the setup routines
now have different names.

> still this would not tell anything about which counter people are using in
> their patches.

Neither does my solution in case people use the old names....
On the other hand I think we really should try not to brake old patches and to
keep object names that are identical in Pd and Max.

Olaf