[PD] Re:[OT] How do your performance environments looks like?

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu mauriziopuxeddu at yahoo.it
Wed Apr 16 20:08:39 CEST 2003

> For an interesting example of a haptic musical interface, check out the
> University of York's Cymatic:  http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~smr12/main.htm

This gives me a better idea. It is not by chance that they focus on
physical modeling. There are many ways to make sounds with a computer
where haptic interfaces makes much less sense.

During a recent improvisation workshop, some people complained that I
was totally inexpressive while playing, even if I was able to make
"gestural" sounds and make use of the whole dynamic range which is more
extreme than the rest of the players (instrumental).

I noticed that my teacher can (on occasion) use an artificial gestuality
(that is, not justified by strict interaction with the device).
For me this is not necessarily a problem, this split being a part of the
nature of playing electronic devices.

Regards,
Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu.