[PD] Internet collaboration [WAS: cd-rom pd-system]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Apr 18 04:12:21 CEST 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Nick Morrison wrote:

> Along that vein, is there a method for sending/receiving arbitrary values
> and/or module layout and/or audio streams, etc, via a TCP or UDP
> connection?
>
> A friend and I have a dream;  we live a thousand kilometres apart, but
> would love to be able to collaborate in real time on a music work.  PD
> seems perfect for our needs (different operating systems, for a start).

You're only really going to get acceptable latency if you stick to using
messages.  There is a lot of latency to streaming audio on the web.  Some
research projects at universities have managed to get audio streaming at
close to realtime, but that was using Internet2, which is a restricted
access high-speed network.

But on the other hand its pretty easy to make a Pd patch that interacts
over a network.  You might even be able to get decent latency.  [netsend]
and [netreceive] are built-in, but [netserver] and [netclient] in Olaf
Matthes' maxlib are much easier to use.

.hc

	zen
	   \