[PD] Re:[OT] How do your performance environments looks like?

vanDongen-Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 19 15:01:08 CEST 2003

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu said at "Re: [PD] Re:[OT] How do your performance
environments looks like?."r[2003/04/17 11:01]

> Hello.
>
> This issue should be split in two part.

I am not sure about this. The more I think about it, the more I think that
the
"performative" and the "controling" are aspects of the same thing.
But for discussion it is useful to choose one perspective.

> With electronics you can even completely change your gesture between two
> performances (even if it's not necessarily a good thing for the quality
> of the performance!).

Yes, you can redesign your interface, you could even make te computer
decide what kind of interface there will be.
In the last case the performance is a search. That can be very good,
depending on who does the searching.
It requires meta-skills in a certain way, a different kind of virtuosity.
You lose fine control on the event level, I believe. But that is just one
of may choices you have to make.

> 2) little elaboration of their playing/improvising technique. Here I
> have a positive example in my teacher. I mean that using his limited
> devices he developed a very good which I currently still lack.

Limitations are necessary. You can either decide te limitations in the
shop, or you have to program them in.
I would call it focused though. I think musical instruments are focused.
Besides it takes practice. How many hours does it take to play thumb
positions in tune on the double bass?
Why should a computer take less time, especially considering that your
designing the instrument and developing the methodology as well.

> I'm working on my MetaControl.

What are the concepts behind this?

Gerard