[PD] Re: PD, linux and ALSA [+Jack!]

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sat Apr 19 18:34:28 CEST 2003

hi martin,

good to hear you are on the road with your pd/alsa/jack now. i finally
have my "famous soundcard" [HDSP] up and running without a hitch as
well. in answer to your ?'s, i am also forwarding this to the PD list in
case anybody there has similar ones:

>Here's a quick question in passing. Do you run a script at boot time to
>start jack?

no. it is pretty CPU consumptive. try browsing the internet while a jack
app is running, something like the XMMS player even, and you may hear
lots of hiccups. better to run it when you need it. type:
jackd -d alsa -d hw
in a terminal window [and make SURE you are not root when you do this,
or bad stuff will happen!]
then CTRL+C in that terminal window will stop jack.
type:
qjackconnect
in another window to get the connection panel.

if you are using Demudi, it should have made a button in you menu to
start and stop. otherwise, just make it yourself. since i use the
Fluxbox window manager, i have the following lines in
/etc/X11/fluxbox/fluxbox-menu:
[exec] (JACK Start) {x-terminal-emulator -e /usr/bin/jackd -d alsa -d hw}
[exec] (JACK Stop) { x-terminal-emulator -T "JACK Stop" -e killall -HUP
jackd}
[exec] (JACK connection panel) {qjackconnect}
but if you use Gnome or KDE or whatever, you'll have to find where they
go yourself.

also, note that i am using the 'jackd' command and not 'jackstart'
command because the -realtime command that 'jackstart' gives isn't
really working with my system [not recommended for kernel 2.4.20 with
ext3 file system unless journalling is disabled]. maybe it works for
you, in which case change jackd to jackstart in the lines above.

>And what's a sensible place to put scripts such as one that
>launches pd with all the libraries?

that is what your .pdrc file does. it goes in your home directory. so
mine is in /home/derek/.pdrc
and it looks like this:

-blocksize 512
-channels 8
-path /usr/lib/pd/iemabs
-lib Gem
-lib zexy
-lib iemlib1
-lib iemlib2
-lib iem_mp3
-lib iem_t3_lib
-lib OSC

obviously, you won't be using 8 channels, and you may want to fool
around with your blocksize if the sound starts glitching, but the rest
of this should be alright, so long as your externals are in the right
place... /usr/lib/pd/extra in my case.

then, by typing:
/usr/bin/pd
or even just:
pd
it should work out fine. you can also add this to your menu:
[exec] (PD) {x-terminal-emulator -e /usr/bin/pd}
and then you will have a button, if it isn't there already.

good luck!
derek