[PD] Multichannel audio on OS X/emi2|6

Stu Yarrow stu at outpost.org.uk
Mon Apr 21 01:42:04 CEST 2003

it seems that i had the wrong source somehow and getting the
0.36-extended2 tarball solved my problem with the front end... thanks
Alex!

i can now use all 6 outputs, but portaudio still doesn't like having
different numbers of in and out channels (eg 2 in, 6 out) and the sound
output is distorted unless i use -noadc.  2 in and 2 out still works
fine if you need to use the inputs.  can anyone shed any light on this?

another thing to watch is that you must set the coreaudio driver to 6
channel mode (using Audio MIDI Setup) before trying to start pd with
6ch. if coreaudio is set for 6 channels out and pd requests 2 it will
switch over by itself, but not the other way round.

instructions for getting to the same setup as i have:

install
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pure-data/pd-0.36-extended2-
MacOSX.dmg if you haven't already.
get
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pure-data/pd-0.36-extended2.tar.gz
and put the src directory in their pd directory.
	(this is possibly unneccesary if you have installed the source
package, but do this if you end up with the official, non 	extended2,
front end)
get http://www2.outpost.org.uk/pd/portaudio.tar.gz - this is a tarball
of my replacement pd/portaudio directory.
compile with
	cd /usr/loc	al/pd/src (or wherever yours is hiding)
	sudo ./configure
	sudo make

hopefully this might be of some use with interfaces other than the
emi2|6, but i don't know...  its not perfect but i think it adds some
functionality and maybe it would be worth including in the MacOS X
pd-extended packages?

cheers

-stu