[PD] Re: stuck installing on OSX

Mitchell Turner mmturner at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 23 00:21:36 CEST 2003

Alex,
> When you say:
>> when I use the Built-in Audio I can send audio out but I cannot send
>> it in
> Did it work before and does not anymore ?
Yes, the earlier version allowed me to use audio in and out when audio
was set to Built-in audio.  I could also send audio in and out with the
Mbox but with only one channel.  Now, I can get audio out to either the
Built-in audio or to the Mbox but I cannot get audio in with either.

Here is what I get when I type "pd -listdev" and the Mbox is not hooked
up to the USB port

% ./pd -listdev
Digidesign CoreAudio Driver: DirectIO in use by another process. Our
best guess at the PID is: 1788
Number of devices = 2
---------------------------------------------- #1 DefaultInput
Name         = Built-in audio controller
Max Inputs   = 2, Max Outputs = 0
Sample Rate Range = 8000.000000 to 96000.000000
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
---------------------------------------------- #2 DefaultOutput
Name         = Built-in audio controller
Max Inputs   = 0, Max Outputs = 2
Sample Rate Range = 8000.000000 to 96000.000000
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
could not open midi input device number 1: Invalid device ID.
could not open midi output device number 1: Invalid device ID.
using default input device number: 0
using default output device number: 1
nchan 2, flags 3, bufs 8, framesperbuf 256

Here is what I get when the Mbox is hooked up to the USB port
% ./pd -listdev
Digidesign CoreAudio Driver: Succesfully acquired DirectIO, our PID is:
1699
Number of devices = 4
---------------------------------------------- #1 DefaultInput
Name         = Built-in audio controller
Max Inputs   = 2, Max Outputs = 0
Sample Rate Range = 8000.000000 to 96000.000000
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
---------------------------------------------- #2
Name         = Digidesign HW ( MBox )
---------------------------------------------- #3 DefaultOutput
Name         = Built-in audio controller
Max Inputs   = 0, Max Outputs = 2
Sample Rate Range = 8000.000000 to 96000.000000
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
---------------------------------------------- #4
Name         = Digidesign HW ( MBox )
Max Inputs   = 0, Max Outputs = 2
Sample Rate Range = 8000.000000 to 96000.000000
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
could not open midi input device number 1: Invalid device ID.
could not open midi output device number 1: Invalid device ID.
using default input device number: 0
using default output device number: 2
nchan 2, flags 3, bufs 8, framesperbuf 256

Pretty strange.  I still have the other version of pd compiled in a
separate directory. If I type "./pd -listdev" in that earlier bin/
directory, I get this:
% ./pd -listdev
Digidesign CoreAudio Driver: Succesfully acquired DirectIO, our PID is:
1705
Number of devices = 4
---------------------------------------------- #1 DefaultInput
Name         = Built-in audio controller
Max Inputs   = 2, Max Outputs = 0
Sample Rates = 44100.00,
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
---------------------------------------------- #2
Name         = Digidesign HW ( MBox )
Max Inputs   = 1, Max Outputs = 0
Sample Rates = 44100.00, 48000.00,
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
---------------------------------------------- #3 DefaultOutput
Name         = Built-in audio controller
Max Inputs   = 0, Max Outputs = 2
Sample Rates = 44100.00,
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
---------------------------------------------- #4
Name         = Digidesign HW ( MBox )
Max Inputs   = 0, Max Outputs = 1
Sample Rates = 44100.00, 48000.00,
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
could not open midi input device number 1: Invalid device ID.
could not open midi output device number 1: Invalid device ID.
using default input device number: 0
using default output device number: 2
nchan 2, flags 3, bufs 8, framesperbuf 256
PortAudio on OS X - Latency = 2048 frames, 46 msec

Very strange, indeed.
Mitch

mturner at lagrange.edu

http://mmturner.home.mindspring.com