[PD] teaching PD to newbies [WAS: Re: [GEM] GEM users request ]

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Apr 24 15:43:29 CEST 2003

chris,

after this big workshop in Amsterdam a few weeks back, i noticed that
one of the things that is still really under development in the PD/GEM
world is a way of teaching it coherently to non-programmers. starting
with the message patches in the documentation and telling everybody
about triggers, bangs, floats and dollar signs works if they can think
in terms of abstract symbols already, but doesn't work at all if they
are coming from the other side of it... i.e. they want to know about
signal processing, making big noises and pretty pictures. an approach
which goes backwards from said pretty pictures and big noises could
teach them the very powerful message-handling side of PD "retroactively"
so-to-speak. sneak in the data-stuff without them even realizing it,
instead of slamming them up against all these abstract numbers and
symbols first thing.

so your application-based tutorial is a great idea! IOhannes zmoelnig is
also working on such a tutorial. i saw the beginnings of this at our
workshop, and it looked good. perhaps you should join forces?

please keep me up to date on this, as i am sure i will find it very
useful in my own educational excursions.

cheers,
d.