[PD] Getting started with GEM

Michael McGonagle fndsnd at rcnchicago.com
Fri Apr 25 23:52:16 CEST 2003

Hello all,

I have gotten a chance to install GEM, I am using the GemG4 compiled
version. I also downloaded the OSX Docs (pd files). I also read the
online docs (html files), but I still don't understand exactly how
things are put together to actually get an image/movie rendered.

Could someone point me to an example file that allows me to open an
image or movie, and does some arbitrary processing. I was able to open a
couple of images with a few of the help files

What format of files can Gem read? I tried several MPG files, it
displays the first frame, but nothing else.

I also opened up the 'yuv_feedback' help file, but it seems that there
is no object named 'yuv_feedback'.

Eventually, I would like to render/plot some fractals. I was reading the
Geos function, but there doesn't seem to be a way to access the image on
a pixel level. Or is there some other way to access and manipulate the
individual pixels in an image.

Thanks,

Mike