[PD] compression codecs

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Sun Apr 27 22:00:10 CEST 2003

>hi,
>are there any _good_ compression codecs to produce video files pd can
>handle?
>'cause cinepak is not really satisfactory ...

what OS are you using and what do you mean by 'good'?   if good means
nice images with little compression artifacts then that suggests a
different set of codecs than small file size or fast decompression.

here's a summary of each platform's codec handling:

OSX - anything QuickTime handles can be played with the exception of
MPEG-1(which is bad for real-time anyway).  a good all around codec
is photo-jpeg which despite it's name actually looks great when used
for video.

Linux - handles MPEG-1 files and a small selection of QuickTIme
codecs which are mainly the uncompressed ones and jpeg codecs like
motion-jpeg and photo-jpeg

Windows - i have had terrible luck getting this version of GEM to
reliably use codecs on different boxes running the various flavors of
windows.  for example my win2k box only likes cinepak but a friend's
XP box will only play Indeo (3?) codecs.  both of these are ancient
and look pretty awful.  maybe someone could post how to get the
various codec installed on a windows system to work in GEM.  or
better yet write a QT .mov player for windows and be done with it.

cgc