[PD] teaching PD to newbies [WAS: Re: [GEM] GEM users request ]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Apr 28 12:15:45 CEST 2003

Hallo,

> It would be really great if we could combine all of the existing tutorials
> out there into one coherent, navigatible set of tutorials.  Just like PDDP
> is becoming the central repository for docs, and the CVS is the central
> repository for externals, there should also be a central repository for
> tutorials.
>
> I think that the tutorials and PDDP should ultimately be part
> of the pure-data.sf.net CVS.  It makes working collaboratively much
> easier than if these files are spread out all over the net.

I'd second putting a "doc" section to the CVS (although I've come to
hate Sourceforge's bad reliability in regard to cvs-access, grrr)

I think, at first we should not force a certain format of the
tutorials on the authors. In the end, I think, HTML is not a good
storage format. Something like Python's reStructuredText
[http://docutils.sourceforge.net/] or a sgml/xml format
[http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/] will be easier to
convert to different output formats, like doing a printed book and
such.

But discussing formats will only keep us away from doing the needed
writing work, so I propose to allow any kind of format except binary
document formats. To clarify: No MS-Word documents!

ciao