[PD] teaching PD to newbies [WAS: Re: [GEM] GEM users request ]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Apr 28 18:28:06 CEST 2003

Hallo,
guenter geiger hat gesagt: // guenter geiger wrote:

> There is a doc section already, I have put Damien Henry's pd-msg
> package there.

Ah, yes. I normally just work in the externals dir...

I guess, I'll now add a directory "tutorials/footils" there and check
in my unfinished drum tutorial.

> Plain HTML is not that bad after all, as a beginning.
> Its better to start working than having the barrier of having to
> learn yet another system. ...

Yes, document formats shouldn't matter now. Personally I like writing
my docs in LyX, choose document format "LinuxDoc (SGML article)" and
then export everything from LyX as is apt: HTML, pdflatex, Latex,...

When writing I don't like to see markup, so I prefer LyX with its
"Word"-like look.

Recently I came to like reStructuredText, which also can be exported
in a lot of formats, and has the advantage, that the "markup" is
nearly invisible, too, because it follows the conventions of
email-markup.  A typical reST document looks like this:

  My first tutorial
  =================

  Chapter 1: Starting Pd
  ----------------------

  I'd like to start with the *most important things* in italic letters.
  And so on...

This gets converted for example to html:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtm
  <head>
  <title>My first tutorial</title>
  <link rel="stylesheet" href="default.css" type="text/css" />
  </head>
  <h1 class="title">My first tutorial</h1>
  <h2 class="subtitle" id="chapter-1-starting-pd">Chapter 1: Starting Pd</h2>
  And so on...</p>

Now which is easier to write?

ciao