[PD] teaching PD to newbies [WAS: Re: [GEM] GEM users request ]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Apr 29 16:44:08 CEST 2003

Hallo,

> reST seems quite nifty for quickly banging out simple documents, but how
> does it hold up when do thing more complex things?  Yes, SGML/XML is a
> pain, but once you have your docs in that format, you can do just about
> anything with it in terms of formatting or even machine parsing.

reST can be extended by writing directives as the "..
image::"-directive. But you're right, it is made for quick editing
with minimal markup. In this regard, it is very similar to Wiki-Web
markup. But apart from the html- and tex-generators there also is a
generator for XML, so reST even can function as a source for that. In
the end it's just a matter of taste. reST also is a good utility for
converting existing text documents into html.

> I like that CSS by the way.  I edited the pd docs in the CVS to use a CSS,
> so you can make them look the same.

The default.css in the tutorial is just the standard reST-CSS attached
at the end of the standard pure-data.sf.net-CSS. That's the nice thing
about *Cascading* style sheets. ;)

ciao